This is one for beginners. It makes a really nice alternative breakfast or a quick fix for a baking urge. making shortcrust pastry is pretty easy and it gets even easier when you buy pre-made, pre-rolled stuff.
So have a go at this classic recipe, it isn't a 'typical' sixties recipe as it still lives in today. Flans are not exactly in fashion at the moment, but they're still pretty popular.
5 - 6 oz short crust pastry
4 - 6 oz bacon, diced.
3 to 4 eggs.
1. Line the flan tin with pastry and bake for about 10 minutes to set, but not cook, the pastry.
2. Fry the diced bacon until just crisp.
3. Add this to the well-beaten and seasoned eggs.
4. Pour the mixture into the flan case.
5. Set a further 25 minutes in a moderately hot oven.