8 oz (250g) shortcrust pastry
1lb (500g) cooking apples (peeled, cored and sliced)
3 oz Granulated Sugar
1. Divide pastry in two and roll out one half large enough to cover an 8 inch (20cm) ovenproof plate.
2. Put the apples onto the pastry-lined dish and sprinke on most of the sugar.
4. Brush the pastry edges with alittle cold water.
5. Roll out the remaining pastry and lift carefully over the apples.
6. Press the edges well together and trime away the excess. With your thumb and finger push up the edges and pinch the top.
7. Make a cross in the centre to allow the steam to escape.
8. Decorate with trimmings optional, brush top with water and sprinkle on remaining sugar.
Bake at 190 celsius (375 F) for 40 to 50 minutes until golden brown.
- Cookbook Focus: Floyd on Britain & Ireland (1988) (recipevintage.wordpress.com)