Keith describes this dish as a simple winter pudding that is inexpensive to make. I'd agree with that.
1 pint (600ml) milk
1 oz (25g) butter
Grated rind of half a lemon
3 eggs, separated.
7 oz (210g) caster sugar
3 oz (75g) fresh white breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons of good quality raspberry jam.
1. Warm the milk in a pan with the butter and lemon rind.
2. Lightly whisk the egg yolks with 1 oz of the sugar and pour in the milk stirring well.
3. Strain the custard over the breadcrumbs in a greased 2 pint (1 litre) ovenproof dish and leave to stand for 15 mintes.
4. Bake at 375 degrees F, (170 celsius) for 25 minutes until lightly set.
5. Remove from the oven and spread the top with the warmed jam.
6. Whisk the egg whites until it is stiff, add half the sugar and whisk again until thick and glossy.
7. Fold in the remaining sugar with a metal spoon. Pile the meringue on top of the pudding and bake at gas mark 4 (350 ferenheit, 180 celsius) until meringue is lightly browned