For this traditional Irish side dish, adapted from Farmhouse Fare you need:
2 dozen of the later spring onions. (Those which are too coarse to use otherwise, are best for this dish but normal ones are acceptable).
You can use chives for this dish as an alternative.
1. Chop the onions into small lengths and simmer in milk until tender.
2. Boil or steam a good dish of potatoes. (1 lb possibly?)
3. When cooked, mash them with a little milk and strain the onions and add these to the potatoes mixing well. Serve very hot.
4. Add a large piece fresh butter (Clover or organic butter possibly?) to each plate that the Stelk is to be served on.
- Scalloped potatoes with gruyere cheese, green onions and thyme (charlotte.news14.com)
- The ultimate Christmas dinner according to Gordon Ramsay, Delia Smith and Jamie Oliver (mirror.co.uk)
- Green Bean, Mushroom and Onion Side Dish (dishinaboutnutrition.wordpress.com)